Us

Us

Hallie {7 years old}

Hallie {7 years old}

Cole {5 years old}

Cole {5 years old}

Lillie {6 months}

Lillie {6 months}
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

This year for Thanksgiving, Cole woke up with Croup! He usually gets Croup every three months or so, so I wasn't too worried. Brett's family delivers Thanksgiving dinners every year for the Salvation Army and I was really looking forward to going, but Cole and I stayed home while everyone else got to go out and deliver.
We had dinner with the Hewlett's this year. Stephanie came into town and our Thanksgiving was relaxing and very low key. Everyone helped in the kitchen and the meal itself was amazing. My mother in law is one excellent cook.
A couple of hours later, we arrived at the church with all of the other Hewlett's and played some mean games of dodgeball. The Hewlett's are quite competitive and I'm surprised that everyone played, including my kids. There was one point in one of the games where Cole was the only one left on our team who wasn't sitting out and the other team kept throwing the ball at him and he would run and duck and then yell out " missed me suckers"!! HA!
Our kids got to sleep over at Gma and Gpa Hewlett's while Brett and I hit Black Friday! We went to Walmart, priced matched everything we wanted and walked out 40 mins later. Easy Peasy. Next, we moved onto Target where our strategy was for Brett to go straight to the check out line while I grabbed my items I needed. It was only pots and pans and a remote control car... we were out of there no later than 15 mins. We decided to test our luck even more and head to Kohl's. We walked in, took one look at the check out line and decided we were done. I love Black friday!
I love Thanksgiving, it's one of my favorite holidays. Not only do we eat good food, and a lot of it, we also have a whole holiday to reflect on things we are thankful for. At dinner, we talked about some things we are grateful for and everyone mentioned the basics... family, the Gospel, children, school. Hallie said recess and friends and I'm sure Cole would've said the XBOX:)
I was going to write down what I am grateful for but never got around to it. So here it is folks...
My mother in law recently lost her mother and it made me reflect on the day I lost my dad. My heart ached for her and even though her mother was 92 and in a nursing home, death is still hard. Losing someone is hard. And that's the number one thing I am grateful for this season- Eternal families.


Love to you all this Holiday season.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

You guys got this black Friday thing down! I am impressed. I'll have to try that strategy next year if I can talk mark into it!

Leslie said...

oh love to you guys also. glad you had a great thanksgiving. what a great shopper you guys have become also, thats awesome. love ya

The Arbuckle's said...

Happy Thanksgiving. I enjoy hearing the story of Cole and dodge ball. Such a stud!
Sounds like you had a successful Thanksgiving.

Kellee said...

I wish I'd been there to see Cole dodging all those balls. I heard everyone loved that dodgeball game!